attractiveness is not indicative of human worth but evaluations of same can certainly be indicative of human terribleness
So today Hunger Games fandom on Tumblr spent enough time explaining how handsome & dashing was antithetical to black guy with an afro that I had to go take a walk before I completely flipped out on somebody.
So, now, you get to see me flip out anyway.
I’m going to ignore the basic empirical inaccuracy of that statement because as “someone like her” who knows many other “someone[s] like her” I really don’t have the patience to calmly explain to you the SHOCKING and UNHEARD OF fact that we do, in fact, receive romantic/sexual attention. (YES! I know. TV never explained that to you because we were too busy being sassy and focusing on our careers/families, but I assure you it is true. And some of this attention, okay, are you sitting down? Get this: it is, in fact, from “someone[s] like him.”)
Instead, I’m going to explain something else, and normally I would go YMMV and leave it there. But I’mma lay this down anyway because even in defenses and call out posts I keep seeing people assuming some things are objective truth when they most certainly are not.
This right here?^
This is a 100% unexceptional, could not be bothered to turn your head and look at him on the street, bland as fuck, blond, white boy completely indistinguishable from 9000 other bland, blond white boys in Hollywood who look just like him because that’s what’s IN at any given time, and there are few things in the entire world, I feel, more illustrative of what media trains us to value than the facts that:
1) there are people legitimately seriously arguing that Amber Riley is somehow aesthetically unworthy of the physical perfection that is completely forgettable human simulacrum “Chord” “Overstreet”
2) even in a large portion of arguments against the idea of this as an unrealistic relationship people are discussing the Sam character’s ability to look past the physical as a rationalization for how it would happen
are you fucking kidding me with this bullshit
Actually, forget I asked that because I know you’re not.
So, I’m going to say it slow and mostly with small words in case someone is missing what I’m getting at:
The only reason that people think that Mercedes could not “realistically” hook up with Sam
she is black and fat
and he is white.
Not even white and attractive…
BUT white and exactly inoffensive enough for society’s deeply racist (sexist, ageist, etc.) standards to thus default him, as a young white man, into “objectively” hot — to make him the ideal. While Mercedes as a girl, both fat and black, is automatically held as a body of little to no worth or appeal.
This is all BULLSHIT. It is not objective. It is not fair. It is not a reflection of the real world. It is not just to be understood that, based purely on physical appearance, a guy who looks like him would not be interested in a girl who looks like her. It is nothing but racist, colonial, horrible, disgusting, offensive standards of worth and beauty and attractiveness being SPEWED everywhere by people who either don’t realize or don’t care how WARPED what they are saying is.
And this is not me telling you that you are not allowed to find Sam or the actor who portrays him attractive. If you’re into that, whatever, I really don’t give a fuck.
This is me telling you that if you think of him and Amber Riley and this somehow seems WILDLY UNREALISTIC because he is just too attractive to possibly want her (AND LORD KNOWS THERE IS NO REASON TO QUESTION WHETHER SHE WOULD WANT HIM AMIRITE?)… just sit the fuck down now because you’re ignorant and you’re wrong and no one wants to hear what you have to say until you stop polluting the world with the racist, sizeist garbage that is falling out of your brain.
488 Notes/ Hide
- shiegra likes this
- berelainhawk reblogged this from sapphicdalliances
- berelainhawk likes this
- ohhhhyoufromchinatoo likes this
- joonwho likes this
- bebitched reblogged this from squintyoureyes and added:
- celerytea likes this
- sluteatingtree reblogged this from powerlesbian
- momotastic27 reblogged this from maardala
- adire-adire likes this
- chameli likes this
- longjackets likes this
- maardala reblogged this from squintyoureyes
- zombiescorp likes this
- your-ridiculous-lies reblogged this from homoerotics
- nowisgreater likes this
- sappnincaptain likes this
- reciprocal reblogged this from squintyoureyes and added:
- martyrsandthieves reblogged this from osito-panda
- vrisuu likes this
- suckitnietzsche likes this
- lionkeeper likes this
- favoritezipper reblogged this from squintyoureyes
- dieplaceboeffect likes this
- elleliteration reblogged this from homoerotics
- scissorfight likes this
- tragicandironic reblogged this from powerlesbian
- daemondamian likes this
- brendosaur reblogged this from ilivevicariouslythroughfiction
- ilivevicariouslythroughfiction reblogged this from powerlesbian
- liontaeng likes this
- mymindisfree reblogged this from darkndangel9 and added:
- mileofkyle reblogged this from homoerotics and added:
- ebulliences reblogged this from homoerotics
- inlovewithfaberry reblogged this from powerlesbian
- inlovewithfaberry likes this
- halfholytrinity reblogged this from iheartbrittana
- markedheart reblogged this from bana05
- cosimasdreads reblogged this from iheartbrittana
- iheartbrittana reblogged this from powerlesbian
- neverwillstop likes this
- morphozephyritis reblogged this from homoerotics
- alwaysamoose reblogged this from powerlesbian
- darkndangel9 reblogged this from powerlesbian
- warproduct reblogged this from powerlesbian
- warproduct likes this
- silverturtle likes this
- hiddentigerpenis likes this
- lesbionic-in-le-closet reblogged this from tr4nwr3ck and added:
- tr4nwr3ck reblogged this from powerlesbian